Wednesday 18 April 2018

My Mental Health Diary: 40 Years

I went to a uni open day last week and attended a lecture about teaching in which the lecturer made a point about this being "your job for the next forty years." This scared me somewhat.

Not the prospect of teaching for 40 years - teachers do remarkable things and help shape so many lives - but the prospect of being tied to anything for that length of time.

Obviously if you've always wanted to be a teacher then that's marvellous. Same for any job you've always wanted - nurse, chemist, artist, whatever. I don't fall into that category. There hasn't ever really been one job I've wanted since day one but I'm at an age where I realise I need to sort my career out.

I'm not quite ready to give 40 years to settle for something I don't particularly want to do. For now I'm looking for what I do want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment