Wednesday 18 April 2018

My Mental Health Diary: Go Compare

From 15th April 2018.

The last wee while I've found myself guilty of comparing my life to other people's.

It's an easy place to end up in. Even from childhood when we see someone with something shiny and cool we want a shot of it for ourselves. Only difference is that instead of wanting a shot of a toy or a ball or something it's usually aspects of their life. In my case when I'm not in the best place there's a hint of childish bitterness attached to the envy.

"How come they have that and I don't?"
"How is it fair that I have to deal with (X,Y,Z) but they don't?"
"How did they get that opportunity when I was overlooked?"

I hate it when I catch myself doing this because I know it's a dick thing ro do and it's utterly pointless. We're all individuals walking our own paths and yeah some paths are rockier than others. Some start off rocky but level out whilst others start level but deteriorate as time goes.

You can't ever truly see where someone else's path has been or has taken them unless you truly know that person. You won't know what struggles they've overcome or battles they fight in secret unless they open up to you. And in that case the last thing they need is an almost stranger acting like a jealous dick.

Fuck it and fight it. 🖤

No comments:

Post a Comment