Wednesday 18 April 2018

My Mental Health Diary: Old Friend

I had a conversation with a friend I hadn't spoken to in years and realised just how much of the last 10-13 years of my life I've allowed to be dominated by negativity.

I haven't got a good relationship or kids or anything like that. I'm not working in some amazing dream job. I haven't travelled the world or swam with dolphins or helped some poor village build a new well or any of that. I haven't done this or that or the next thing blah blah fecking blah.

No wonder I'm a miserable dick if all I do is focus on negative things. Things that I can still do if I want.

I started thinking of the positive things I've done through this time period instead. Recovering from open heart surgery. Getting into uni. Graduating from uni with Honours. Picking myself up after bad relationships and fall-outs. Tackling my mental health. Losing 3.5 stone. Taking opportunities to create memories such as working at the Commonwealth Games in 2014 or being pitch-side to see my favourite team beat the best team in the world. Making great memories with awesome people. Pushing myself to do things I didn't think I could.

It's so easy to be negative, especially if you're feeling down. Take a second and think about all the amazing things that have happened in your life and be positive about yourself. Everything you haven't achieved yet is still there for you to seize.

You got this. X

Fuck it and fight it.

No comments:

Post a Comment