Tuesday 24 April 2018

Rabbie Burns, pals & reflections

I am not a connoisseur of poetry. I don't read anywhere near as much as I should. I am not a Rabbie Burns fanatic (despite crying when I found hewas dead when I was at nursery, roughly 199 years after his passing) but one ofhis lines is one that always stays with me.

 "O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"

I wish I could see the side of me my friends and family see. I wish I could see the person they love, in spite of the meltdowns and the need for reassurance that at times must border on harassment. I wish I could see the person they want to hang out with, the one they want in their lives.

I know they don't see the me I see because I don't know if I'd be friends with him. They go out of their way to show me I'm loved and I'm not the person I see looking back from the mirror.  I am not my depression. I am not my anxiety. I am something so much more than that.

I am a brother, a son, a friend, a nephew, a cousin, a godfather and a warrior.

They let me see the me they love. Not the anxiety or the depression that distorts my vision. For this I am truly grateful. They show me the love they see in me and I love them for it.

Fuck it and fight it.

No comments:

Post a Comment