Monday 30 April 2018

NHS

Three times in my life I've saught help with my mental health through the NHS when I've found myself in bad places. Not just feeling sad or lethargic. Places that were so dark, bleak and scary the prospect of making it out seemed at times non-existent.

The first two times I was put on a waiting list and seen over three months after seeking help. The third I was just given contact details for private counselling (don't get me wrong, great if you can afford it) as I was apologetically informed by a GP that I essentially wasn't depressed enough to warrant treatment through the NHS according to the protocols and procedures they have in place.

I want to clarify that I am a massive supporter of the NHS - without it I almost certainly wouldn't be here today and am not sharing this story to have a go at the NHS. Rather the government and organisations that are strangling it.

Despite the amount of media attention and column inches dedicated to politicians tackling the "ticking time-bomb of mental health" as they often refer to it, the simple fact is this:

Not enough is being done. Far from it.

Someone's mental health and wellbeing should never be used as some political tool to steal votes with empty promises.  It should be treated with the same seriousness we treat physical health. But we are nowhere near that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment